Skip to main content

Prevent CO poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which is released during incomplete combustion of combustibles containing carbon compounds. It is colourless, odourless and non-irritating. Carbon monoxide can make you very ill and is potentially lethal.

CO poisoning has a wide range of symptoms (nausea, vomiting, headache, fainting, etc.). This is why CO poisoning is not immediately recognisable. Always be on your guard when you have an appliance in your room that can spread CO (geyser water heaters, coal, gas and fuel oil heaters, etc.). Only electric heating appliances pose no threat.

A few precautionary measures:

  • If you use a heater that does not have a chimney, ensure it is not on continuously for longer than one hour. And ensure the room is always properly ventilated.

  • If a geyser or non-electric water heater is installed in your bathroom, grates are required at the bottom of the door and the top of the wall.

  • Air your room regularly.


If you witness a possible CO poisoning, act quickly:

  • First, open all the windows and doors.

  • Switch the appliance off immediately.

  • Remove the victims from the room as quickly as possible.

  • If the victims are unconscious, ring the emergency number 112 immediately.
 If the victims are conscious, ring the GP.